When I began this trade in 1987, 100,000 miles was a milestone that was often targeted as a turning point for vehicles. Many manufacturers produced maintenance intervals only up to this mileage. However, today 150,000 or 200,000 miles is a regular occurrence in our facility, with many of our customers (and myself included) who can satisfactorily testify in excess of 250,000 miles.
Many customers have asked us over the years, “How long should I keep my car?” and “How long should my car last?” The answer is not as complicated as it seems.
What You Should Know About Your Car
Back in 1995, cars did not last more than 8 years, not only due to the 100,000-mile limit but also because it was significantly cheaper to purchase a new vehicle rather than repair an old one. With the numerous advancements in vehicular technology, drivers are keeping their vehicles for longer. In fact, the average age of vehicles on the road in 2015 was 11 years, with studies showing that reaching the 200,000-mile mark could take up to 15 years!
According to Consumer Reports, there are 5 things that every driver can do to keep their vehicle in top shape longer than ever before:
- Buy a safe, reliable vehicle that has been designed for long-term use.
- Keep a strict maintenance schedule, which includes oil changes, tire rotations, major upgrades, as well as routine “checkups” at your local car repair shop.
- Always buy brand-new parts that are suitable for your vehicle, as trying to save money can cost you in the long run.
- Know what signs of potential problems to look for, as failing to detect a strange noise or smell can seriously endanger both your vehicle and yourself.
- Keep your car clean with regular washing and waxing, as that helps minimize the wear and tear of daily driving, salt in the winter, etc.
Regardless of the make or model, it is statistically unlikely that you will be satisfied with your vehicle at 200,000 miles without performing maintenance during its life. That is why Motorplex and Pro-Tow are here to keep your car looking and “feeling” great for years to come! We welcome you to call 253-245-5400 for service and 253-245-5454 for towing today.
Best of luck,