How Does An Alternator Work?
As mentioned above, an alternator is responsible for providing your vehicle’s electrical system with power, but how does it work exactly? Although the process is quite complex, here are the key points:
- The alternator possesses a rotor within the system, which undergoes electromagnetic induction.
- Using electromagnetism, an electromagnetic induction generates electricity.
- The electricity generated by the alternator provides power to the battery, charging it.
Due to its responsibility of providing electrical power, a well-functioning alternator is essential to the overall health of your vehicle. Therefore, noticing signs of a faulty or failing alternator is very important to any vehicle owner.
Alternator Problems: The Symptoms of a Bad Alternator
Your alternator dying in the middle of the road is something no driver wants to experience. Take a look at some of the signs of a bad or failing alternator in order to prevent your alternator from dying completely:
- Warning Lights: If the alternator warning light is on, it means that the vehicle system has detected something wrong with the alternator and is a good indication that the alternator requires attention. Keep an eye out for other warning lights coming on, as a failing alternator can result in that as well.
- Dimming Headlights: If your headlights are dimming and unable to maintain its regular level of brightness, it may be a sign that your alternator is failing.
- Inconsistent Radio Power: If your radio is cutting in and out, it is a sign that electricity is not being properly supplied. This indicates that your alternator may not be working properly.
- Battery Problems: If your battery is weak, dying or dead, then it is an indication that not enough electricity is being provided to the battery by the alternator. Although batteries are not meant to last forever, a quickly failing battery may be a sign that your alternator requires attention.
As mentioned above, most signs of a failing alternator are electricity related. If you notice any of the symptoms, it may be time for an alternator repair.
Alternator Cost: Alternator Replacement Costs
You notice signs of a dying alternator and decide to get your alternator replaced, but how much does it cost? Before we can answer that question, there are a few factors to consider when finding the price of an alternator replacement. If you are looking to replace the alternator yourself, you are looking at anywhere between $30 to upwards of $1000 for the alternator alone. The price, of course, depends on your vehicle model and the required alternator type or model. If you decide to take your vehicle to a mechanic to replace your alternator, it will cost around $300 to $1000, for the labor and cost of the part. This depends on a re-manufactured vs new alternator, vehicle model and required alternator type or model. A re-manufactured alternator will typically cost you between $300 to $500, while a new alternator can cost you anywhere between $500 to $1000 or more.
Engine Oil Change
The engine is arguably the most important part of a properly functioning automotive vehicle. One of the crucial ways to maintain a well-functioning engine is to check and change your engine oil on a regular basis.
It is important to keep up with maintenance on your vehicles breaks to best protect you, your passengers, and other people on the road. Depending on how you use your brakes and how long you’ve had them, there could be issues that may allow an accident to happen.
The costs of a transmission repair can fluctuate drastically depending on many things. A major thing is a manual or automatic transmission. Find out the major factors affecting transmission repairs.
Heavy Truck Radiator Repairs
The radiator plays a very important role in keeping your engines cool to prevent overheating and other heat-related damages. Learn more on the role of radiators and how to properly maintain your radiator.
When your vehicle shows signs of electrical problems, it is essential to check the alternator for signs of maintenance required.
Heavy Truck Interior Restorations
The interiors of your vehicle can greatly affect your driving experience. If you are in need of any vehicle interior repair services, contact us today. We provide repairs for windows, mirrors, doors, and more.
Heavy Vehicle Engine Repairs
The engine is a vital component of a well-maintained vehicle. Follow these 6 simple steps to ensure a fully satisfactory vehicle engine repair.